To the internet friends I love

To the internet friends I love

By Sophia Pan, Co-Managing Editor

Dearest friends that I met online,

Thank you. You may live a thousand miles away, but you have done me a thousand favors, comforted me a thousand ways and made me a thousand times the person I was before I knew you. For some of my internet friends, I have not spoken to you in a very long time, and for some of you, we have fallen out of favor, but rest assured: I remember you, and I am eternally grateful for how you have changed me.

You have been there for me, reaching out with arms made of pixels to lift me up when I am down. I only know your faces in 2D, and yet, some of you know me better than I know myself. I have spent so many hours laughing with you. The impressions left by your friendship will stay with me forever.

So, to Natalie and Kia and Paris and Jade and Kierra and Mere and Sithmi and Van and Mayo and everyone I didn’t have the space to list, I love you. I carry bits of all of you with me: Bears remind me of Mayo just as volleyball reminds me of Jade. When I think of kindness, I think of Kierra, and when I think of pickles, I still remember texting Natalie. Whenever I need motivation to study, I remember when Mere drew me a phone background to stay focused. I still boast Kia’s nickname for me (Microsoph) as the best I’ve ever gotten, and it’s because of Paris that I love Australian accents. Van’s funny voice messages continue to play in my head on repeat, and I still learn from Sithmi every day.

You’re all family to me. Thank you for everything. As Helen Keller said, “True friends are never apart; maybe in distance, but never in heart.”

With love from a thousand miles away, 

Soph