Eight Valentine’s Day rom-com recommendations

By Shreya Vaidhyanathan, Staff Reporter

The go-to for dates has always been dinner and a movie, and nothing beats a cheesy rom-com! Whether you’re on a date, with friends or hanging with your family, here are eight rom-com recommendations for Valentine’s Day. 

1. 13 Going on 30

Rating: 3.5/5 hearts

Summary: In this flash-forward movie, Jenna wishes she could skip past her awkward teenage years and get to the ‘good parts.’ So, she does! Now an adult, Jenna has to navigate the chaos of the grownup world, and realizes that maybe high school isn’t so bad. 

1. Lady and the Tramp

Rating: 4/5 hearts

Summary: Whether you choose the classic 1955 version or the new adaptation, this romantic tale holds so much nostalgia. This story is best enjoyed with family, pets and a steaming plate of spaghetti!

1. Falling INN love

Rating: 3/5 hearts

Summary: Upon winning a New Zealand inn through a radio contest, Gabriela leaves her city life for the countryside. Because the building isn’t exactly in perfect condition, local handyman Jake Taylor helps restore the place. Gabriela and Jake have each other’s backs in the ups and downs of life, and their friendship might turn out to be more than just that.

1. To All the Boys I Loved Before (parts 1 and 2)

Rating: 4.5/5 hearts

Summary: Lara Jean navigates high school, relationships and life as a teenager with a twist- she unknowingly confesses to all the boys she’s ever had a crush on. The third part of the series comes out just in time for Valentine’s day!

1. The Perfect Date

Rating: 3/5

Summary: Brooks enlists a friend to help him create an app, but not just any app. Anyone who uses his services pays him to play the perfect boyfriend for any occasion. When he develops feelings for someone though, the plan isn’t easy.

1. Set it Up

Rating: 4/5 hearts

Summary: What starts as a scheme to get a break from work turns into friendship, and maybe more! In an attempt to get their bosses together, two overworked assistants find something they weren’t exactly looking for.

1. Geek Charming

Rating: 3.5/5 hearts

Summary: Dylan Schoenfield is ready to do anything to win prom queen, even starring in a film geek’s documentary. The bickering between her and Josh as they get to know each other better is hilarious, and them getting together is much anticipated by the end of the movie. 

1. 10 things I Hate About You

Rating: 5/5 hearts

Summary: At his new school, Cameron falls in love with Bianca, one of the two Stratford sisters who notoriously aren’t allowed to date in high school. Cameron sets up a plan to get Bianca allowed to be his girlfriend, resulting in relationships that no one expected.

Shreya Vaidhyanathan can be reached at [email protected]