From the editor: Be nice to your parents

By Hyunjin Lee, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Ah, senior year. For a lot of us, that means only a few more months until freedom, COVID-19-permitting, that is. With the end of senior year looming closer — and yes, I know it’s still 2020 and we are technically only about 30% days done with the year — I can’t stop thinking about the big transition that’s coming up. It will mean greater independence; having freedom over what we do everyday; and for some of us, maybe even living by ourselves. But this also means that this is the last year we have to really spend time with our parents. And I think we should take the extra time the pandemic has granted us to get closer to our parents or perhaps to mend any relationships that need mending. If not anything else, with Thanksgiving coming up, to show our love and gratitude for the people we have in our lives. 

I can’t really think of a time when my parents weren’t involved in my life. And for most of us, that is probably the same. From driving me to practices, lessons, concerts and everywhere else to supporting me through basically my entire life so far, my parents have been a huge part of my life. But, and I am a bit embarrassed to admit this, I can’t really think of many times when I actually showed my appreciation for them during the moments I should have. 

When I forgot my glasses at home, I frantically texted my dad, telling him I couldn’t see anything and that I needed my glasses NOW. My dad left work to drive home to get my glasses then bring them to me at school. I can’t even remember if I said thank you in the midst of complaining that it took him too long. 

Or every Saturday morning, before the pandemic, when my mom would drive through hours of Philly traffic to get me to and from orchestra rehearsals. I am not sure if I thanked her for these rides. I guess I always took it for granted that my mom should drive me everywhere all the time. 

Maybe most of you haven’t been like me and regularly show your appreciation for your parents. But I dare say, there were probably moments in your life when you didn’t thank your parents or guardians for the things they do for us. I know there are often times when I take my parents for granted. I take it for granted that they will always be there, driving me places (I still don’t have a driving permit), buying me this or that for a project due the next day, or being there for me whenever something goes wrong. 

But the reality is, in a few months, they won’t be there. When I go to college, my parents won’t be there to bring me my glasses if I carelessly forget them at home or drive me to my rehearsals. A few months ago, I read about Stoicism and negative visualization. Negative visualization is the philosophy of thinking about all the negative outcomes that can occur in our lives. Think about what your lives might be like without your parents, your guardians or whoever supports you. What would that life look like for you?

Like most things, we won’t realize how big of a support they have been until they aren’t prominently in our lives anymore. And by then, it might be a bit too late to say a genuine thank you or to spend the time we should have with them all along. But we still have time. Show your gratitude for them, thank them for all that they do, and make the most out of the remaining time we have left with them. 

I know, as teenagers, it might often seem as though parents shower us with seemingly outdated and unasked-for advice. There might be times we bicker with them or roll our eyes when we think they are too controlling. But most of us are adults now or will be soon. And we are old enough and mature enough to realize how thankful we should be for our parents, the people who will always have our back. 

Remember, it doesn’t have to be Mother’s or Father’s Day to show our appreciation and love.