Netflix Recommendations

By Emma Galef, Staff Reporter

Whether you’re an extrovert that misses talking and laughing with people every day, an introvert who is content with all the quiet time or a germaphobe who is in hysteria, we all can relate to feeling bored in the midst of this pandemic. For over a month, we have been stuck in our homes with no agenda. One way to conquer boredom while keeping distance from other people is watching Netflix. Here are a few recommendations for Netflix shows that will give you the fill of drama that you need!  

1. The Fall: Following a number of murders in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Detective Superintendent Stella Gibson (Gillian Anderson) arrives to supervise the investigation. The killer, Paul Spector (Jamie Dornan), is a family man and therapist who’s trying to maintain his personal and professional lives while hunting young women. The thrill for the audience comes from watching the detective and murderer go about their days, never knowing who is going to have the upper hand. The show has three seasons.  
  1. Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem, and Madness: This “crazy true crime” documentary follows director Eric Goode, who is making a documentary about a snake dealer in Florida, stumbling into the world of big cat owners and the eponymous “Tiger King” in particular: Joe Exotic, the grandiose owner of a big cat zoo and country musician, who was convicted in 2019 of trying to put a hit on animal rights activist Carole Baskin. The wild story has one season so far and is new to Netflix.  
  1. The Good Place: Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) finds herself on the good side of a paperwork snafu when, after dying, she ends up in the Good Place, a serene afterlife neighborhood built by a cosmic architect named Michael. In reality, Eleanor was an abrasive person who only looked out for herself. Now, in order to avoid being discovered and sent to the Bad Place, she must learn how to behave like a nice person. This show is different from most others and will certainly keep you on the edge of your seat. It currently has four seasons.  
  1. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Not far from Riverdale, where Archie Andrews and friends have their hijinks, sits the town of Greendale, a place where it seems like Halloween all year round. It’s here that teen witch Sabrina (Kiernan Shipka) lives, juggling her ordinary life as a high schooler with her extracurricular activities practicing the dark arts. Sabrina is enjoying the best of both worlds, at least until her 16th birthday, when she must sign away her soul to the Dark Lord and cast off her mortal life. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a fun, occasionally very creepy, slice-of-life show, with Sabrina and friends having adventures and dealing with a variety of supernatural threats. The show has four seasons.  
  1. Street Food: If you love best cooking shows but are tired of seeing buttoned-up celebrity chefs in pristine kitchens, how about a show that examines the food of the people? Street Food travels the world to explore how chefs from various cultures cook street food. The first season focuses on various Asian countries, including Thailand, Japan and Singapore, interviewing experts and filming the local vendors. This being a David Gelb production, the cinematography is stunning, and the interviews with local chefs add a personal story to the cuisine on display. This show, filled with delicious entertainment, has one season.  

To view a cool graphic about Netflix recommendations by Aishi Debroy, click the attachment below!

Emma Galef can be reached at [email protected]