Eight Valentine’s Day Date Ideas

By Aditi Dahagam, Staff Reporter

When Valentine’s Day rolls around, most people think of flowers, chocolate or taking their partner out for a movie and dinner. Instead of these cliche gestures, here are some date ideas to make the day more memorable.

1. Sign up for an art class

Instead of buying or making a card for your valentine, go to a pottery or painting class with them. Not only is it relaxing, but you’ll leave with a piece created by your date that they wouldn’t dare to throw away as well as memories of a fun time.

1. Do a joint workout class

Release some endorphins by going to zumba or a yoga class. It’s a win-win at the end of the day because you get to spend time with your date as well as get those extended experience hours in.

1. Go ice skating

For those who are smitten, lace up your skates and grab your mittens! If you don’t know how to ice skate, step out of your comfort zone and try something new. If you do know how to ice skate, show off your skills!

1. Have a cook-off

Instead of ordering takeout or going to a restaurant, have a competition with your partner to see who’s the superior chef. Better yet, set up a double date to have a couple’s cook off. Invite some (single) friends who like free food and aren’t afraid of food poisoning to judge.

1. Stargaze 

Wear some warm clothes, grab a cozy blanket and head somewhere open and dark to observe the beautiful night sky. For those who want to flaunt their knowledge, download an app that identifies stars and constellations.

1. Enjoy a hot air balloon ride

Love is in the air, so take your date to new heights with this date. For the mere price of a couple hundred dollars, enjoy the view from high above. But really, besides those who are afraid of heights, who wouldn’t love the breathtaking scenery?

1. Paintball

All is fair in love and war, so show your appreciation for your date by striking them with this modern-day version of a cupid’s arrow. This is also a great idea for single pringles looking to spend time with their friends or vent out some frustration.

1. Escape room

If you and your date just haven’t done enough problem solving at school, crack the case together or with friends at an escape room. To up the stakes, compete with another couple and see which one gets out faster.

Aditi Dahagam can be reached at [email protected]