Girl’s varsity basketball beats Lower Merion on senior night

Girls varsity basketball  beats Lower Merion on senior night

By Gavin Merschel, Staff Reporter

Wrapping up home games and the season, the girls varsity basketball team pulled through in a win of 44-31 against Lower Merion on Tuesday, Feb 4. This win was especially important to the girls and the community because it was senior night, a game to recognize the two seniors–Annie Nikolic and Katherine Gay–for their dedication and leadership to the team for the past four years.

To begin the game, the tip was won by freshman Kate Galica, which was followed by excellent ball movement. ‘Stoga was the first on the scoreboard from a steal and fast break by Galica. After another set of steals and rebounds by Galica, Nikolic, sophomore Katie Faith and junior Julia Morgan, and points scored by Galica, Nikolic, Morgan and Gay, Conestoga led 10-5.

The second quarter was kicked off by several sets of foul shots by Nikolic, Galica and Faith who made 5/6 shots. Then sophomore Marisa Wells contributed two points. With seven early points, ‘Stoga’s seniors followed up with two more points by Nikolic and eight more points by Gay, one of which was a buzzer beater leaving the game at 27-14 ‘Stoga.

In the third quarter, Galica continued to dominate the court by getting four rebounds. Gay and Nikolic continued to score as the game drew closer. And with a final push on the quarter, Nikolic hit the only three pointer right before the buzzer to leave the quarter 33-24 ‘Stoga

The pioneers finished strong in the final quarter, with great all around play. Faith had a rebound, blocked shot and four points. Also, junior Megan Marengo entered the game scoring one point and getting a rebound. More points were scored by Wells and Galica as Morgan locked up on defense, accumulating one block, two rebounds and a steal on the quarter.

The night was a successful way to finish their final home game and the game was made even more special with buzzer beaters by both seniors. Nikolic finished the game with 10 points, two rebounds and an assist. Gay finished with 12 points. With the full team effort and maturity shown from the younger players, a bright future is likely for the young team in the coming years.

Gavin Merschel can be reached at [email protected]