Why I like astrology

By Sophia Pan, Copy Editor

Nothing is quite as magical as a night filled with stars. Those millions of twinkling lights can tell a thousand different stories against a backdrop of velvety darkness.

And stars are stories, personal stories, too… at least, they are if you like astrology.

Astrology is the study of celestial bodies and how they affect our affairs here on Earth. In Western astrology, there are 12 zodiac signs, each corresponding to a constellation and a specific set of dates. According to my birthdate, I’m a Gemini — an air sign symbolized by the Twins.

According to astrology, at least, the way most people know it, each sign has a set of traits. It’s just another way of characterizing people and the way that they behave.

Astrology is widely regarded as a pseudoscience — that is, not real. And I can hardly disagree. 

From a scientific perspective, it doesn’t make much sense. How can the alignment of the stars on the day you were born predict your personality or your future?

But a part of me doesn’t care if it’s factual or not, because to me, astrology is an escape, a momentary relief from a world that doesn’t stop spinning.

It’s comforting to indulge in horoscopes (predictions of your future based on your star sign), even if I don’t believe in them. Even though I know that the predictions are intentionally vague enough to be one-size-fits-all, it’s like having a non-committal set of guidelines for the day or having a quick tool for self-reflection.

Horoscopes and astrology are freeing in that I can sit back and let something else take the reins in my life. It’s tiring having to constantly be in control, and astrology allows me to take a breather and pretend that a force bigger than myself is guiding me.

At the end of the day, we’re all just stardust, and it’s soothing to consider that some celestial destiny is carrying me through my day. Sometimes, drifting along in the cosmos can be nice.

But I get it. Astrology and horoscopes and star signs galore are not for everyone. It’s something you can only truly enjoy if you’re willing to let your head get lost in the clouds for a bit.

So, maybe I like astrology because I’m a dreamer.

Or maybe… it’s because I’m a Gemini.

Sophia Pan can be reached at [email protected]