Swimming to success: swimmers end the season with the challenge of states

Taking the plunge: Senior Julie McFadden leads the 200 frestyle relay at Districts. The swimmers held on to their Central League champions status after Centrals at Radnor on Feb. 12-16.

By Avery Maslowsky, Co-Editor in Chief

The girls’ and boys’ swim teams ended their seasons at the state championship, ranking in the Pennsylvania top 10.

From March 13 to March 16, seven boys and eight girls represented ’Stoga swim at Bucknell University for the state championship. The boys’ team ranked eighth overall and the girls’ team ranked tenth overall.

Senior Brendan Burns broke his own 2018 state record in the 100-yard Butterfly, winning the event for the third year in a row and the Swimmer of the Meet Award for the second year in a row. The relay team of Burns, Aidan McKendrick, Steven Graver and Raymond Welgosh placed seventh overall in the 400-yard Freestyle. And in the 200-yard Freestyle relay, the team of Burns, Gary Wang, McKendrick and James Hughes placed ninth.

Two girls on the swim team took home individual medals in the 100-yard Backstroke: junior Caroline Famous and senior Sophia Poeta, placing third and fifth, respectively. The girls’ relay of Poeta, Famous, senior Alex Marlow and junior Allison Yuan also finished seventh, but in the 200-yard Medley, breaking a school record.

Before the meet, girls’ coach Rob Kirkby said that through the states’ training sessions, he sought to maintain the joy of just swimming.

“We have eight girls going, the most in a long time. States are a reward for a successful season. I want the girls to enjoy the meet and not put too much pressure on themselves. It is an exciting meet with the best swimmers in the state represented,” Kirkby said.

The swimmers’ successful season wasn’t only from their awards at states, as both teams placed first at the 2019 Central League Championships held at Radnor High School from Feb. 12 through Feb. 16.

Famous said she attributes the power of the team to its bond and suspects the team will be able to reach similar success next season because of its supportive nature.

“The team as a whole has a great bond and everyone is really great about coming together and cheering. Everyone wants you to do your best which is great motivation and creates a family-like atmosphere,” Famous said.