Boys lacrosse shoots for another year of success on the field

Sharp pass: Junior Scott Smith passes the ball to a teammate during practice. Smith was on varsity for the 2017 and 2018 seasons and played alongside the 19 graduating seniors.

By Reagan Gerrity, Design Editor

Adjusting to any sport is difficult when missing players, whether due to injury or illness, but for boys’ varsity lacrosse, adapting went to a new level after losing the 19 players that graduated in 2018.

The class of 2018 defined itself with their numerous successes over the past three years. Last season the boys were Central League champions and co-champions the previous two years. In 2017, they were District One Champions and lost the state final in double overtime. And in 2018, the boys made it to the state semifinals.

“It’s the culture that we have at Conestoga. The guys are very competitive and sort of over the years have built a culture of success and a culture of accountability. I think it helps our guys want to achieve those goals every year,” coach Brody Bush said.

Bush, who has been coaching lacrosse at Conestoga since 2009 and teaching health at T/E Middle School for 15 years, has kept the same goal for this season: winning the league, but now without the athletic talent of the 19 graduated players.

Senior Michael Jameison said he admires the dedication of those that graduated and their contribution to these past season victories.

“The most notable part of last year’s class was their tenacity and work ethic. They would never take a rep off and it would show during the games,” Jameison said.

Despite this loss, Bush said he still has great faith in his returning players and those that are new to the team.

“I think we’re going to surprise a few opponents and having 12 returning varsity players gives a good base. Then we need the younger players to fill in their spots. It’ll be challenging for them,” Bush said. “It will be a good mix between the younger guys and the old ones. We’re looking for different upperclassmen to step up and be leaders.”

For senior Will Schnorr, this is a time when new players can display their talent.

“When you lose those players, you have to reload. Fortunately, our team has a good amount of depth when it comes to talent so although those 19 players will be missed, we have younger players with the talent to replace them for this season,” Schnorr said.

The season is never predictable but with returning talent and new players stepping up to fill old positions, Schnorr said he is hopeful the team will go far.

“I’m looking forward to one more year battling to win the state championship. In my years playing with the varsity team, we have lost in the finals, and semifinals,” Schnorr said. This is the seniors’ last chance to win a state championship so we are all looking forward to it.”

Obtaining possession: the boys lacrosse team practices in the weeks leading up to their first game. The team held tryouts in early March. They hope to win the State Championship.