PiONEer Pit unites ‘Stoga athletics

By Olivia Thompson, Photo Editor

On a home game night, one doesn’t even have to go inside in the large gym to hear hundreds of students cheering. These fans, collectively known as the Pioneer Pit, are the spirit of the ’Stoga sports games. To inform the Pit of games and other sports activities, athletes use social media accounts such as @pioneer_pit_ on Instagram, run by seniors Brooks Rush, Sophia Mazza and Haley Beiter.

According to Rush, the account was started in October 2016 by alumna Katie Rycyzyn to increase the turnout for games. Rush says that the account’s goal is to “try to get more people to go to the games and promote school spirit.” The account has over 1,000 followers, consisting of alumni, parents and students such as junior Alexandra Bové.

“I follow the account and it keeps me updated on when the games are and what the theme is for the night, like whether its a blackout theme for a football game or a flannel theme for a basketball game,” Bové said.

The owners of the account post throughout all three seasons of the school year and allow for students in outside activities to ask for support through the direct message (DM) function on Instagram.

“We post for anyone who reaches out, even people doing intramural sports, like TEYSA (Tredyffrin-Easttown Youth Soccer Association),” Rush said, “It’s anyone who DMs us.”

Both Rush and Mazza said that their experience as athletes have positively added to the account.

“It’s nice because I know what’s going on. I have close friends on the football team and I could ask about the themes or games and they would tell me,” Rush said.

Although unsure about who they will hand the account to next year, Rush and Mazza say that they hope to see the account, and the Pit, continue to grow.

Packing the pit: The Conestoga “Pioneer Pit” cheers on the boys’ basketball team at its home game on Tuesday, Dec. 11. The account @pioneer_pit_ is run by three seniors in hopes of promoting school unity at sporting events.