Girls’ varsity soccer wins PIAA District I 5A championship

By Christina Lee, Staff Reporter

On Nov. 4, girls’ varsity soccer won against Souderton High School for the District I championships with a score of 2-1. This year was the first time since 2008 that Conestoga reached the District playoffs.

During the first half, Souderton led with a score of 1-0, but with 9 minutes and 20 seconds left, Conestoga senior Nia Scott scored a ball, tying the score to 1-1. 

The score stayed at 1-1 during the second half and the game went onto overtime. Fellow Pioneers and parents cheered on for the team, shouting out encouragements from the bleachers.

With 8 mins and 29 seconds left in overtime, Scott scored another goal, giving Conestoga the victory and the championship title.

“We are super excited and proud. We are happy to continue on to states, and we are especially proud of our seniors,” said senior team members Clare Mongeluzi and Hailey Speicher.

During the awards and recognition, the 30 varsity members received medals and senior captains Jordan Roe and Emily Wertz went up to receive the trophy.

“This is my third year coaching the girls’ soccer team. Our goal this year was to win sectional lead, win districts, win states,” varsity coach Benjamin Wilson said. “ This game was really tough, but it was good to see that we were able to battle and stay composed and find that win in overtime.”

The Pioneers will move onto the state tournaments starting Tuesday.

Check out the photo gallery below!

Girls' varsity soccer wins Districts

Christina Lee can be reached at [email protected].