Girls basketball defeats Harriton, leads Central League

By Rohan Gandhi, Guest Reporter

The Conestoga girls’ basketball team defeated the Harriton Rams 45-31 on Tuesday, Jan. 5 in a Central League showdown.

The Pioneers started strong with a 12-0 run which extended into the beginning of the second quarter. Senior Ellie Mack led the team in scoring for the night with 12 points. The Rams struggled to score early as the Pioneers were relentless on defense and went into the half with a 19-10 lead.

During the third quarter, the Rams found their offense as both teams went back and forth in scoring. The Pioneers continued to play well, but saw their lead shrink to 4 at the end of the third quarter.

Both teams fouled repeatedly in the fourth quarter making the bonus a critical part of the game. The Rams tied the score at 29-29 with 5:41 remaining. However, the Pioneers excelled from the foul line to ensure that Harriton would go the entire game without taking the lead. With only 31.8 seconds remaining, junior Liz Scott snuck through the Rams defense and was untouched as she made a key layup to extend a Pioneer lead to 37-32. The Pioneers tightened up on defense and continued to shine through their free throws with Scott and Mack making 2 shots each to put the game away. The Pioneers held the ball as time expired, winning 45-31.

The win improved the Pioneers to 8-2 on the season and gave them the undisputed lead in the Central League with a record of 7-1.

“We are so excited,” Scott said. “This just shows future teams how good ’Stoga ball can really be.”

The Pioneers look ahead to a tough January slate, but the win “gave us a lot of momentum going forward,” senior Liz Atwood said. The next several games “are going to be difficult and important to our record for our league playoffs and district playoffs.”

The girls next face Upper Darby at home on Friday, Jan. 8 at 7 p.m.