Chester County On The Move campaign starts

By Evangeline Kennedy, Staff Reporter

The Ninth Annual Steps to Cure Sarcoma 5K Run/Walk and One-Mile Walk took place on Sunday, May 21 at Wilson Farm Park, creating a supportive and welcoming community for those who had been affected by the disease or had lost their loved ones and wanted to connect with others to learn about their stories. 

Stacy Pellegrini, the event’s race director, aimed to raise an environment of support and understanding throughout the event.

“I think just getting everybody together is so important. It’s become more than just raising money and doing a 5K. It’s a place for people going through it or who have lost somebody to come together and support one another,” Pellegrini said.

Sarcomas are cancer of the bones and soft tissues, including muscles, blood vessels, fat, nerves, tendons, and other connective tissues. Each year, they affect approximately 12,000 people in the United States and are very underfunded with therapy sessions not being very effective due to the lack of research.

Julia Placido, a runner from Team Miles for Michael, said, “I hope we raise a lot of money, so we can do more research and hopefully find a cure.

The event was introduced nine years ago by Barbara Herzlich, whose son, a former Conestoga High School football player, was diagnosed with sarcoma. She collaborated with Lisa Dychalla, whose daughter also had sarcoma. Both kids are better now, but the two mothers decided to raise money for research, by starting the sarcoma fundraiser.

The event served as both a fundraiser and a gathering where participants could connect, find support, and engage with medical professionals and scientists dedicated to sarcoma research, providing hope and assistance to those facing challenging times. This year specifically there was a designated booth set up, where scientists warmly welcomed attendees and addressed any questions or concerns they may have had.

Lisa Nappi, a runner for Team Paul Nappi, said, “It was always a wonderful experience here. We enjoyed seeing all the nurses, doctors, and people who helped our family through a really rough time.”

The event received significant support from groups like Penn Vet, Penn’s Abramson Cancer Center, and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) doctors.

Perry Angelozzi, a Keynote speaker and a survivor of sarcoma cancer, said, “All the doctors have almost become family to me, so it was great seeing them in this setting as well.”

In addition to doctors, scientists, and runners the event also involves numerous volunteers who assisted in setting up the event and encouraged the runners, including Marshals.

Bradley Younce, a Marshal volunteer and Conestoga Sophomore, said, “It’s just good to help out the community, and it’s for a really good cause. Everyone is super happy, in good spirits, and there are good vibes all around.”

A total of about 950 participants registered and showed up at the event, which raised over $115,000, exceeding the fundraising goal of $100,000. 

Dr. Kristy Weber, the director of the Penn Sarcoma Program and a major sponsor, said, “This is my favorite day of the year. It’s inspiring to see patients and families display courage as they come together and celebrate each day. They are my heroes.”

Evangeline Kennedy can be reached at [email protected]