Dribbles for donations: Junior class hosts student vs. faculty basketball game

___________________

By Sosi Sengal, Staff Reporter As music blares from the speakers and cheers erupt from the crowd, students and faculty alike are gathered in the stands to support their fellow classmates and teachers. Conestoga hosted its first-ever student vs. faculty basketball game that brought the community together to support their students, faculty, and their junior...

By Sosi Sengal, Staff Reporter

As music blares from the speakers and cheers erupt from the crowd, students and faculty alike are gathered in the stands to support their fellow classmates and teachers. Conestoga hosted its first-ever student vs. faculty basketball game that brought the community together to support their students, faculty, and their junior prom.

The junior prom is an exciting junior event, according to Lex Shah. In an attempt to raise money in a creative way, the student council and junior prom committee organized a student-faculty basketball game to bring the community together. Featuring a student team consisting of all juniors who competed against a faculty team, the groups went head-to-head, creating a fun, yet competitive environment, according to Liam Smith. The event was held on Wednesday March 1 and drew in large crowds, packing the gym and raising around $600 for the junior prom. The playful banter between the teams helped bring in people to watch and support the cause. Social studies teacher Aaron Lockard shared his opinion before going into the game.

“I’m more confident in my team than I am in myself,” Lockard said. “I think our combined athleticism should be enough to surpass these juniors, but I’m curious to see what they bring to the table.” Health and Fitness teacher John Jones agreed. “The faculty is just probably wiser and can play like a team more,” Jones said. “But I have no idea what to expect for talent, but I’m sure it’s going to be a fun time.”

The juniors also put in a lot of effort to get themselves and their class excited for the game. By promoting it on Good Morning ’Stoga and posting it on social media, they built up a great deal of anticipation for the event, as many students had been eagerly waiting for it to come, according to Shah. Since the fundraising aspect would help their junior prom, many students attended to see their classmates face off against their teachers. The junior team believed their combined athleticism and teamwork was what would give them the edge over the faculty team, according to Smith.

“We have a lot of people on this team that can play really well,” junior Liam Smith said, “We see these teachers every day, so we really don’t want to lose.”

In addition, the large amount of planning that went into the event is also what drew in the crowds, according to junior class senator Lex Shah. He explained the hard work of the junior prom committee, student council and everyone involved was what made the event so memorable, shown by the students in the stands.

“A lot of (factors) had to come into play. We had to get all the snacks for the concession stand, get the teachers to sign up and find the right time for the gym, but I think it all came together great,” Shah said. “I think it’s a good fundraiser for prom so it should continue.”

After a tight game, the juniors ended up with a win over the faculty team, narrowly beating them 52-49. Going into double overtime, the juniors launched themselves into the lead with 3-point shots. In the end, many students believe the event was memorable and hope it will become a lasting tradition.

Sosi Sengal can be reached at [email protected].