Assessment days discontinued

___________________

By Lauren Pinheiro and Miya Cao, Staff Reporters After piloting assessment days during the first semester, Conestoga administration removed the practice for the rest of the year due to mixed feedback. The initial goal of assessment days was to help alleviate possible stress felt by students when multiple tests and due dates fell on the...

By Lauren Pinheiro and Miya Cao, Staff Reporters

After piloting assessment days during the first semester, Conestoga administration removed the practice for the rest of the year due to mixed feedback.

The initial goal of assessment days was to help alleviate possible stress felt by students when multiple tests and due dates fell on the same day. Under this system, world language and English classes tested and had assignments due on cycle Days 1 and 4, math and electives on Days 2 and 5, and social studies and science on Days 3 and 6. 

“I like it for math because I would always have two or three extra days of review because we (would) miss our (assessment) day by one day,” freshman Dani Werner said. 

Biology teacher Jacqueline Gontarek found that because of the assigned days, she struggled to accommodate her students when she felt as though they needed her to postpone a test. Especially in AP classes with strict schedules, some teachers found that they could not afford to lose lesson days.

“I think (assessment days) had a good purpose to try to make kids a little bit less stressed, but I think what ended up happening (was that) I felt more constricted by it and I couldn’t be flexible when kids asked me, ‘Can we move the test?’” Gontarek said. “I’m personally glad that (the) restriction has been lifted.”

As recommended by the American Psychological Association, students should spread out their studying over a few days before a test. The original intent of assessment days was to prevent students from having to study for multiple assessments in one night. 

However, test preparation can look different for each student depending on factors outside the school’s control. Junior Sarah Phillips emphasized the importance of having enough time to study. 

“I don’t really have a problem with the assessment days. I don’t think it (was) a big deal for me to have more than two tests in a day,” Phillips said. “I think it’s more important that I had enough time to prepare.”

With assessment days eliminated, principal Dr. Amy Meisinger advises students to “reach out in advance directly to their teachers to make alternate arrangements” in the case of excessive testing on any given day, as stated in a Schoology post. 

“I think the theory behind (assessment) days makes a lot of sense,” sophomore Sarah Weng said.  “If there (was) a way to alter the plan so that (assessment) days for all students’ classes are spread out — no matter the subject area on which a student chooses to focus — I think it could be very effective.”

Lauren Pinheiro can be reached at [email protected].

Miya Cao can be reached at [email protected].