Pennsylvania State Senator Andy Dinniman announces retirement

By Evan Lu, Staff Reporter

Long-time Pennsylvania legislator Andy Dinniman has announced his retirement from his position as a state senator representing the 19th district. Throughout his nearly 30 years long career, Dinniman served as Chester County Commissioner and later became the first Democrat to win the state senate office in Chester County in over a century. 

Dinniman’s decision to retire came from the desire to spend more time with his wife of 51 years and greatest supporter, Margo Dinniman, who is currently recovering from a successful spinal surgery. 

“Margo has supported me during every step of my career in public service, even as she battled other health challenges in the past,” Dinniman said. “She has always remained my biggest cheerleader, my most astute advisor, and my rock. Margo and I have faced some long days and tough battles together, but that is what a real, loving relationship is about – and it only gets better with time.”

By stepping aside, Dinniman hopes to pass the baton to the younger generation and give someone else a chance. He endorses Democratic candidate Don Vyzamal, the current Government Relations and Policy Director with the Pennsylvania State Senate, as his replacement in the upcoming elections. 

“(Don) is the most qualified, experienced, knowledgeable, and well-respected person to lead the 19th Senatorial District. He cares deeply about the future of our communities and our planet and has shown time and time again that he will not hesitate to defend them,” Dinniman said. 

Dinniman hugely appreciates the encouragement from the community he received throughout his career and the outpouring of support and well wishes following his retirement announcement. Although he is not seeking reelection, Dinniman plans to remain part of the community and stay involved in public service.  

“I ran for state Senator because I love public service, I love Chester County, I love the people and I wanted to make a difference. I feel like I have,” Dinniman said. “Serving as state Senator has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, both personally and professionally.” 

Evan Lu can be reached at [email protected].